I didn't have much time this particular evening to take photos as Billy and I baked, but the process is very important for this dessert. I later illustrated the process for those who are visual learners:
Click HERE to view image larger.
Phyllo-Dough Cannoli with Whipped Cream Cheese Filling
"ORIGINAL IDEA" BUT AFTER RESEARCH ADAPTED FROM Home Cooking in Montana AND Zoom Yummy
TIME: 30 MIN YIELD: 16
16 sheets of phyllo dough
3/4 cup butter, melted
8 squares of foil
1 cup cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar, divided
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk
8 oz high quality chocolate, I used 70% bittersweet
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare two baking sheets with foil (to keep them clean).
2. Use cannoli forms, or make disposable forms with foil. Gently and evenly roll up foil squares into a tube.
3. Phyllo Dough: Brush 1 sheet of phyllo dough with melted butter. Fold in half, and then fold again to make a square. Apply soft pressure. Place foil form on one end of phyllo dough square. Gently roll up around form, and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
4. Bake phyllo dough cannoli at 350ºF for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly browned and crispy. Immediately, carefully remove the foil from the cannoli. Once the cannoli comes to room temperature they're a little too fragile to remove the foil.
5. Make the cream cheese filling: Using a mixer on high, whip cream cheese for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup powdered sugar. Mix until integrated. Scrape sides of bowl when needed. Add the 2nd cup of powdered sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, and milk. Mix for 3 -5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
6. Scoop cream cheese filling into piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe filling into both sides.
7. In a small sandwich-sized plastic bag, add chocolate. Microwave for 15 seconds. Take out of the microwave and apply pressure to the bag with fingers. Break up the chocolate as much as you can. Repeat process until chocolate is melted down smoothly. Only repeat two times, three at most; too much heat will dry out the chocolate.
8. Using scissors, snip the corner of the plastic bag, the opening about as big as the tip of a pen. Drizzle the chocolate over the stacked, filled cannolis.
Best if served within 4 - 5 hours of making. Refrigerate any leftovers.